VG_4 Judith Dallegret

BHCG Virtual Celebration / Gallery 4  

Virtual Gallery  


Virtual Gallery_Gallery 4 / Judith Dallegret


Gallery 4 / Judith Dallegret

In this Gallery, you can tour a selection of rugs from Judith Dallegret.

Judith Dallegret / Photo: Elissa Dallegret.


Judith Dallegret

Judith is an artist. Her rugs are unique and colourful and truly pieces of Art on the Floor. “I have painted all my life and dyeing wool for rugs is much like painting.” Judith studied at both the Montreal and Boston Museums of Fine Arts.
A collector of antique rugs, she seldom found rugs in good condition. “Since rug hooking is a Nova Scotia tradition and I am a 4th generation hooker, it seemed natural to me to just hook my own rugs and designs.”
Judith joined the BHCG in 1997, and then became a Certified Nova Scotia Rug Hooking Teacher.
The Guild is privileged to have held many of her workshops, from Primitive Rug Hooking and Folk Art through to Design, Colour Planning, and Dyeing.
Judith’s pieces have been featured in Rug Hooking Magazine, books, journals, and exhibits. She participated as speaker at the Green Mountain Rug Hooking Guild’s Exhibitions in Vermont.
Emmy Maten, Vice-President

To find more about Judith on our Blog, please use the search tool in the top right corner.

You are also invited to follow these links:

***


Judith Dallegret. Graffiti Tango. Original.



Graffiti Tango
Original

I designed this rug in Diane Phillip’s class at Shelburne, Vermont Rug Hooking School and at the time had titled it "Strong Women". Graffiti Tango is a memory rug of the days I danced the Tango in Paris and Montreal and was a Tango dance teacher for men. Numerous students had a machismo attitude; I taught one lesson and the next week they would be teaching me! So I hooked this rug in my frustration…. that is me, taking the lead while dancing in the smoke-filled clubs of the Tango world. My favourite dance shoes and Tango bars - Sur les Quais in Paris and La Tangueria in Montreal - line the border.
This piece was showcased in Rug Hooking Magazine vol. XXIII – Number 5, March-May 2012.


***


Judith Dallegret. September Rug. Original.



September Rug

Original
31 X 56 in., #8 to #10 cuts, hooked on monk’s cloth


This rug was started in September 2004, as a challenge by Wanda Kerr at the Welcome Mat, to hook every day for a month. I had just dyed a batch of beautiful inspiring fall colours, both solids and background textures. I drew 30 shapes on the backing and started to hook, as though painting with wool, and things just took their own shapes and soon it was grape leaves and things from the garden appearing as I hooked. This is my favourite type of rug to hook!
This piece was showcased in Rug Hooking Magazine Vol. XXIII – Number 5, March-May 2012.
















***


Judith Dallegret. « Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense ». Original.



« Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense »
Original

This small mat was designed and hooked for an article I was asked to partake in for Rug Hooking Magazine on Celebrations around the World. I picked the Order of the Garter, an order of chivalry founded in 1348, which is still celebrated yearly in England on the 17th of June. The story of the motto is that when the English king's mistress dropped her garter at a palace dancing evening and everyone made fun of him, he replied ”Honi soit qui mal y pense” (translation - shame on him who thinks evil of it.). My father was very fond of this quote, so I gave him the little mat for his 100th Birthday.



***



Judith Dallegret. Apothecary Rose, pattern by Karen Kahle.



Apothecary Rose
18 X 18 in. cushion
Pattern by Karen Kahle of Primitive Spirit Designs
Shown in a Rug Hooking Magazine Issue

This was the result of a colour study started in a workshop with Karen Kahle herself at Shelburne Vermont Rug School. I tried to use Karen's pale colours but my own colour palette worked its way into it. I added the corner designs to make the pillow larger.



***


Judith Dallegret. Twisted Ribbons. Traditional antique Attic Window Quilt pattern.




Twisted Ribbons
Traditional antique Attic Windows Quilt pattern

I started this floor-sized rug in Marjorie Judson's (well-loved teacher from PEI) geometric class at the Nova Scotia Rug Hooking School in Truro, N.S. I was not particularly good at hooking sharp corners and Marjorie scolded me to do better. Well, I got lots of practice with this mat! It was a fun exercise to play with light coloured ribbons twisting to dark ones, creating the three-dimensional effect. My grandson loved its 3-D effect so now it is his rug.
This piece appears in Jessie Turbayne’s Book on Hooked Rugs.



***


Judith Dallegret. Bluenose, adaptation from traditional Bluenose (Nova Scotia) rug.



Bluenose
1999
Adaptation from traditional Bluenose (Nova Scotia) antique rug


My first rug hooking class was a “Heritage” class with Kaye Magwood at the Nova Scotia Rug School when I was introduced to these wonderful old mats. I adapted an old pattern by hooking the floral centre in a painterly style. I love the simplicity of the scrolls. This was also my first experience with dyeing wool. My mat lives on the floor in my home in Nova Scotia.



***



Judith Dallegret. Minouche and T’Poo at home in Nova Scotia.



Minouche and T’Poo at home in Nova Scotia
8 X 12 inches

This rug shows my village on Digby Neck with my cats, Minouche and T'Poo, at my cabin by the sea. This was done in Nova Scotia at a teachers’ workshop with Doris Norman. We were given a house template and told to hook something with it and add, I seem to remember, a tree, water, and a path.

Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs

Picnic