VG_1 Lois J. Morris

 BHCG Virtual Celebration / Gallery 1      

Virtual Gallery  


Virtual Gallery_Gallery 1: Lois J. Morris, Founder / Teacher

    

Gallery 1 / Lois J. Morris   

In this Gallery, you can tour a selection of rugs from Lois J. Morris.


Lois J. Morris / Photo: Ti Seymour.



Lois J. Morris

Lois J. Morris, founder of BHCG, is an avid and multi-talented rug hooker. She has been pulling loops since 1963 and is never afraid to take on a new challenge! Over the years Lois has taught many classes to members of the guild, from beginners’ introductory lessons to expert techniques. We are so fortunate that she has shared her many skills over the years.

Lois’ work has been recognized and published by OHCG. In 2016 she was awarded 1st prize in Alternative Fibres and Techniques category. Rug Hooking Magazine has also showcased her work in several issues.

You can see some of her amazing rugs here and you can read more about Lois by following this link: Lois J. Morris / About.
Dawna Matthew - President

To find more about Lois on our Blog, please use the search tool in the top right corner.



***


Lois J. Morris, Galaxy. Original.


Galaxy
Original
2017

For this piece I used an intuitive process. I just thought I would take a shape: a circle, square or triangle, and see what kind of a piece I could make. I picked a circle and that was the result. It lives in Chicago at my grandson’s.
The composition is based in repetition and overlapping. The contrast is created with different circular shape sizes, colors and textures. The lines and curved bands help to connect the elements and give some illusion of depth and motion.



***




Lois J. Morris. Shaggy Bark River Birch. Original / Photo: Ti Seymour


Shaggy Bark River Birch

Original 3D
2016


This piece started out as an abstract, but as I worked on it it reminded me of a shaggy barked birch tree in my daughter’s backyard so I decided to made it a tree. As I laid it flat, I felt it didn’t look like much, so I took the piece to the hardware store and I had a piece of sonotube cut in the right length and recut in half lengthwise. Back at home I stapled my piece to one half and inserted the other half as backing. Voilà — I had a tree. It was still missing something , so I hooked a woodpecker, cut it out, turned in the edges, lined it and sewed it to the tree. I put two screw eyes in the back of the mounted piece and a wire and hung it on the wall in our entry hall. It won first prize at the OHCG Annual Alternate Fibres & Techniques category.













***




Lois J. Morris. Poly. Adapted from a portrait by Claude Monet



Poly

Adapted from a portrait by Claude Monet
Size: 13” x 14”


I really like paintings and portraits, and I believe that fine art is a magnificent source of inspiration to learn about colour, light, composition and proportions. This is an adaptation of Portrait of Poly, a 1886 painting by Claude Monet. I used #3 and # 4 cut wool on linen. This piece was showcased in Rug Hooking Magazine vol. XXVI – Number 2, September-October 2014.



***



Lois J. Morris. Still Life. Original



Still Life

Original

This is a pleasing group of articles put together to form a still life. It is hooked in #3 cut which I favour as it enables me to put more than one shade of a colour together in a small space and, in this specific piece, helped me with the treatment of lighting, opacity and transparency.



***




Lois J. Morris. Mound Hunter. Original.



Mound Hunter

Original


This is an old piece I have done using a picture as inspiration to trace the man’s head profile. It appealed to me because it's different from the traditional Native American Headdress Chief profile design, generally used in labels and illustrations.
It was done with # 3 cut using a red fabric for the background to achieve more contrast.


***



Lois J. Morris. Gainsborough, a Pearl McGown Pattern.




Gainsborough

A Pearl McGown Pattern
Size: 60” round
1984

This round rug is a lovely McGown floral pattern, hooked in #3 cut which I finished in 1984.
In nice weather it is displayed in our front hall entry, to be replaced by a not so precious rug in the winter.


***


Lois J. Morris. Owl. Original.



Owl

Original

This stylized owl is a piece I hooked many years ago using fancy stitches, also called creative stiches, which recreates embroidery. I hooked it with several stitches, such as: popcorn, reverse, aztec, chevron, combined with long loop cuts. The background is made by alternating vertically hooked rows in two shades of peach.

Over the years, I have offered some workshops about these techniques at the Guild and students really like them. Louise G. de Tonnancour and Ti Seymour, who attended these workshops, received an Honourable Mention in the OHCG Alternate Fibres and Techniques Category for their fancy stitch pieces, in 2010 and 2016, respectivly.


Details

Fancy stiches used in Owl

Tree
Orange tree top : popcorn stitch
Light background in tree top : reverse stitch
Pattern in this light background: shaded Hooking
Tree base gold and green: plain Hooking
Ground under tree: Aztec

Owl
Owl’s head: plain Hooking in shades of gold
Ear tips : long loop cut
Blue eyes: Long loop cut
Wings: done in chevron and outlined

Background
Alternating vertically hooked rows in 2 shades of peach.








***


Lois J. Morris. Sarah's Rug. Original.



Sarah's Rug
Original
2007

I drew all these shoes to create a special rug for my granddaughter Sarah. She is a dancer who really likes footwear and she fervently hoped I would hook something for her on that theme. This is Sarah’s wish come true.



Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs

Picnic