Show & Tell / March 2021

 Featured Rugs Gallery      

In this Gallery, you can tour a selection of rugs from our last Exhibition, held in September 2017 at Centennial Hall. Visit our Blog to see the rugs showcased in the past.  

Portraits   

These hooked portraits are inspired by several different artforms, a sculpture, a miniature painting, a portrait painting, and a photograph. Whether the subject is famous or unknown, portraits present the viewer with a visual representation or likeness of the person and may also reveal an idea of their personality.




Rosemary Jean Hudson. Nefertiti.


Rosemary Jean Hudson
Nefertiti
Inspired from a charcoal drawing of a sculpture of Nefertiti
2016
12” x 14.5”
#2 cut

I took an advanced rug hooking class with Lois J. Morris, who often provided us with pictures or drawings to inspire us. I chose a charcoal drawing of the bust of Nefertiti, a famous ancient Egyptian sculpture. Using it as a guide, I drew a replica onto linen, and hooked it with purchased wool, cut into #2 strips. It hangs in my home.


***


Lois J. Morris. Turkish Sultan. Adaptation of an Ottoman miniature.



Lois J. Morris
Turkish Sultan
Adaptation of an Ottoman miniature
20 ½” x 27”
#3 cut

After reading an article about the Ottoman Empire in a National Geographic Magazine, I was inspired to create a rug. This piece is an adaptation of an Ottoman miniature painting of Ahmed III and his young heir. I altered some colours, and changed the ornamentation of the throne, the carpet, and the background of the image, to simplify their marvelous and rich decoration, which is very difficult to replicate. I used cut number 3. It was published in the January-February 2015 issue of Rug Hooking Magazine.


***


Kay Cousineau. Habitant Pipe Smoker. Replica of a Cornelius Krieghoff painting.




Kay Cousineau
Habitant Pipe Smoker
Replica of a Cornelius Krieghoff painting
Circa 1985-1995
Unframed dimensions 17 in x 20 in
#3 or 4 cut

Years ago, I donated to the Guild a book about Cornelius Krieghoff, well-known 19th Century Dutch-Canadian artist. In this book is a small image of the artist’s Habitant Pipe Smoker painting which I used to create my rug while taking a course with Lois J Morris on portraits. I dyed all the wool myself. This rug was always my husband’s favorite piece and it hung in his office for years. It now hangs in our home.



***


Dawna Matthew. Indonesian Grandfather.



Dawna Matthew
Indonesian Grandfather

Adapted from a photo taken in 2014
Hooked 2016
13” X 18”
# 4 & #5 cut

I adapted this rug from a photo I took of this very proud grandfather. We were touring in Indonesia and stopped to purchase oranges from his daughter. I hooked it while taking a course with Cheryl Bollenbach at the Green Mountain Rug School.



Show & Tell:  Portraits


Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs

Picnic