Show & Tell / January - March 2017

Show & Tell: Repetition!


Repetition is not boring at all!
By Maria Romero

Repetition refers to an element which is recurrent, and the reiteration can be done with the same item or its variations.
Repetition is very useful to create rhythm and patterns!

In Isabelle Rollin's rug, a repeated floral motif  generates a radial composition.

In Judith Dallegret's rug, the repetition of teapot shape variations creates a linear rhythm.

In Sally Perodeau's rug,  contrast, sequentiality and randomness are the key. At the center of the piece, an elephant's contour is repeated. Then, this radial composition is surrounded  by colored variations of the same animal, but in different perspectives, positions and scales.

In Lorayne Charenko's and in Claire Fradette's rugs, a repeated motif is used with variations of color, size and position or orientation, but in order to obtain two different effects. The composition principle  in Charenko's  airy piece is simplicity, in opposition to Claire Fradette's overlapped flowers, wich is complexity.


Isabelle Rollin
Chair Pad By Isabelle Rollin

Chair Pad
By Isabelle Rollin

A result of working with limited shapes and colors, in a beginner's class. Designed and hooked by Isabelle Rollin.


















Judith Dallegret
Teapot Rug By Judith Dallegret


Teapot as inspiration
The inspiration
Teapot Rug
By Judith Dallegret

My Teapot rug was inspired by a favourite teapot that my grandfather bought and loved as I do also. It is in the top row center of my rug  . .. slightly adapted. I then added other imaginary geometrically decorated teapots to be surrounded by an elaborate border.

At the time of designing the rug, I was taking a class with Jule Marie Smith at Green Mountain Rug School. Then, as I was hooking the rug, it was to be in the exhibition at the Shelburne Museum annual rug show. The subject for the challenge that year was ''In the garden’’. So, I did the background of teapots in a grassy green and dedicated the rug to my whimsy cousin whose garden in Nova Scotia is full of teapots! This is how one thing led to another.






Sally Perodeau
Elephants At Play by Sally Perodeau


Elephants At Play
By Sally Perodeau

I like elephants and I prefer to hook the oriental way. The background is a selection of “worms’  that I had, and the border was hooked with variegated string from the local wool shop. This, I can recommend as it is easy to use, and very little thought is needed while working as the colours usually blend well together and I thought it did show off the elephants in the middle of the rug.







Lorayne Charenko
Flying Free By Loraine Charenko



Flying Free
By Lorayne Charenko

At a course given by Lois Morris we were given patterns of shapes and  from these shapes we were to design a hooking piece. The shape I chose seemed to look like a bird.  I started hooking one bird and gradually Flying Free came alive. The background was done in reverse hooking and I think it shows off the birds.  I did my own dyeing.  I really enjoyed this course.
















Claire Fradette
The Yellow Flowers, Hooked By Claire Fradette

The Yellow Flowers
By Claire Fradette

I got the rug at an auction. A few flowers were already done, so I finished it with recycled wool. The background is done with a kilt skirt.

Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs

Picnic