Show & Tell / Mother's Day

May 9th, 2021 _  

Special Show & Tell: Inspired by Mom   

Cheers to our Mothers who are our source of love, guidance, strength, and creativity. To all Moms, thank you for the care and inspiration you have given us!
Happy Mother’s Day!


Claire Turturro. Kyoto panel, a Rittermere pattern.





Claire Turturro, daughter of Lois J. Morris
Kyoto panel
Rittermere
1980
#6 cut
27” x 60”

This is the first rug I hooked.

I had loved the design in mom’s catalogue since I was 8 or 9.

I never took a class from her per se, but always sat and had tea and chatted with the ladies who took her classes at our house when I would come in from classes at high school and college.

I guess I learned by osmosis. When you have watched someone as skilled at their art form as my mom day in and day out for years, her knowledge and expertise rub off on you without realizing the knowledge you have acquired.

When in college I finally said to Mom that I had always loved this design. She then gave me the pattern and wool swatches as a Christmas gift, and I started working on it at home with her guidance before I got married in 1980. I finished it on my own as a newlywed in late 1980.

Designed to honour Japan’s Expo ‘70*, this design features huge chrysanthemums assembled with oriental simplicity. The border is based on Japanese calligraphy.

I have it at home as a wall hanging.

I do not hook now. I do embroidery and silk thread painting as my hobby/craft in retirement. My mom has always been a great inspiration for me.

I believe my skill level of shading and stitching my flowers and leaves in my embroidery and thread painting is directly related to what I heard Mom teach her students.
 

  * For more information about Japan’s Expo ‘70, follow the link: Expo ‘70


Detail of the Kyoto panel


Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Picnic

Rug Hooking Designs