In Lois Words

Founder's Message   



By Lois J. Morris   

I have drawn and painted for as long as I can remember. In Toronto, I took adult education courses in Traditional Rug Hooking and became” hooked.”   By the late sixties I was teaching in my house.  We were transferred to Montreal in 1973, my neighbor was interested in what I was doing.  She gathered a few friends together, I taught them and then approached Beaconsfield City to see if they might offer a beginners course in Rug Hooking. They were willing to try one and before long I was teaching five classes a week.

The need to get together, and share and inspire one another was evident, but we were too  many to meet in any one house.  In 1975 the City graciously offered us Centennial hall, and the Guild was born. Now, 40 years later, The Beaconsfield Rug Hooking Crafters Guild of more than 40 members still meets at Centennial Hall to continue their work, which now extends to the Fiber Arts.  These members Design, Draw, Dye and Hook their dreams as beautiful creations, beyond the Original Tradition Primitive works of their ancestors.

When we began I never expected to see this group still in existence “40” years  later.  I salute the current membership, and the executive, for the efforts they make and for the hidden talent of the group that manifests itself at their displays and regional exhibitions from time to time.   I am proud of you all.

Let us continue to have fun.  Thank you for the opportunity to teach and work with you.


Lois Morris
Lois J. Morris

Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

Picnic

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs