Show and Tell / March-June 2012

This is a selection of rugs from our September 2010 retrospective exhibition, held at Centennial Hall, to celebrate the Guild’s 35th anniversary.

Ironman - Alish O'Keefe
Ailish O'Keeffe
Ironman

My daughter Trish is a breast cancer survivor – when she was having chemo and radiation she decided she needed to have a goal – her goal was to do the Canadian Ironman – which she did the year after completing her treatments.   She has completed many more Ironmen since then –in Penticton, BC, Montreal, QC Lake Placid, NY,   St.Croix, US Virgin Islands,  Las Vegas,NV,   as well as  marathons, half-marathons, etc.  

The rug is a tribute to her accomplishments and I used the logos from  some of her  races – including Race Across America (a 3000 mile bicycle race over 4,800 km). 

I used number 6 width wool in three shades of grey.  For the logos I used the actual colors of each logo.


The Butterfly Gate - Denise Vandenbemden
Denise Vandenbemden
The Butterfly Gate

This rug was an unfinished rug offered for sale at one of the guild's charity sales. The rose in the corner and half of the little one the side were hooked. The matching wool, however, was nowhere to be found. I bought the unfinished piece anyway and succeeding in dyeing the exact values of red. The pattern left a large area for a background and I find hooking backgrounds boring, so I added a number of butterflies and a checkered border. The size of the rug did not allow for a nice fit in the last corner (bottom right) so I left it open and hooked a butterfly in this door.


Sylvia Solomon - Attic Window
Sylvia Solomon
Attic Window

This rug was made with no. 5 cut from recycled wool and some wool that I dyed.  It was inspired by a geometric course given by Judith Dallegret. It was fun trying to produce 3 shades of each colour.








Alice Hamilton
Alice Hamilton
Chicken Coop Capers

New wool on linen foundation. I took a course on geometrics with Judith Dallegret and I decided on the Attic Window pattern. Having grown up on a farm, it brought back memories of being sent to get eggs from the chicken coop. This is my version of the hens having fun.







Sally Perodeau - Oriental
Sally Perodeau
Oriental Rug
A McGown-Flynn Pattern 
40 x 24 inches

This is Kashani Hunt Panel, a pattern designed by Pearl McGown & Jane McGown Flynn. My first love is oriental designs and I have done many of them. This one I would call contemporary, very lively and I enjoyed doing it. Except for the navy background, the wool is all hand dyed. Lois J. Morris helped me as usual. 

Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Picnic

Rug Hooking Designs