Show & Tell - June 2010



The Rose Challenge
 A guild challenge had been offered to do a rose or/and a candle rug


Rose
Hooked by Ailish O'Keefe

Ailish O'Keefe
The rose pattern was very interesting as a tool to learn how to do shading. As usual, Lois gave a very good class on shading but I ended up having lots of problems trying to get the shading done correctly. After many efforts that I kept taking back out, I decided to do it as if I were doing a watercolor painting – this worked very well for me, and I finally was able to complete the rose. I used purples – who ever saw a purple rose? I took artistic license! After I completed the rose and the leaves, I decided to do a white background using cotton thread that Lois gave me. I ended up having the rug stretched on a frame and it looks really good – at least I think it is beautiful!



Golden Rose
Hooked by Sylvia Solomon

 

Sylvia Solomon

16 in x 16 in. recycled wool, no5 cut.

It’s a golden yellow rose on a royal blue background. It was indeed a challenge for me to do a piece with shading. I have made it into a pillow and display it proudly in my living room.













A rose is a rose
Hooked by Denise Vandenbemden


Denise Vandenbemden
16 in x 15 in

The rose is a free pattern from the book “The Rug Hookers’ Bible”. I hand dyed the wool and cut in no. 5 strips. When I finished the rose, I didn’t like what I saw, somehow it seemed as if something was missing. The rose looked unnatural and bland. Edging it in a contrasting colour brought it back to life and made all the difference.












White Rose
Hooked by Claire Fradette


Claire Fradette
14 in. x 14 in. Recycled wool, no. 6 cut

I made the rose in memory of my husband who had passed away that year. At that time, someone sent me a bouquet of white roses in sympathy. That is why my rose is white.


Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

Picnic

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs