Show&Tell / July-September 2017

About Sunflowers!


Ah! Sun-flower
By William Blake (1757–1827)

Ah Sun-flower! weary of time,
Who countest the steps of the Sun:
Seeking after that sweet golden clime
Where the travellers journey is done.

Where the Youth pined away with desire,
And the pale Virgin shrouded in snow:
Arise from their graves and aspire,
Where my Sun-flower wishes to go
.

Taken from The Poetry Foundation's Website



Sunflower Rug
Sally Perodeau 

My rug was a monochromatic course given by my favourite teacher Lois who is always so helpful and full of ideas.
The sunflowers on the cover of a Margaret Stewart  magazine inspired me to incorporate some of them with a few changes into my monochromatic challenge. I found keeping all the different shades separate quite difficult, but being more experienced today I think it would be much easier. I loved using No2  strips of wool once I got  used to the old style  cutter, I enjoyed see how things evolved.

Sunflower Rug, Hooked by Sally Perodeau



Three Blooms
Pattern by Karla Gerard
Hooked by Dawna Matthew  

I started this rug while visiting Loretta Moore and loved the bright, bold colours and the motion in the design. It was fun including sari silk and other fibres in my hooking.

Three Blooms, Hooked by Dawna Matthew





Proddy Pillow
Hooked By Dawna Matthew
One corner of the pattern Three Blooms by Karla Gerard, used with permission.
I needed a small piece for a finishing workshop with Loretta Moore. This worked perfectly for a pillow with a proddy trim.



Proddy Pillow, Hooked by Dawna Matthew




The Sunflower Project

In the June 2014 our guild was invited to attend the Pointe-Claire Horticultural Society’s celebration of their 80th anniversary. To get in the spirit we decided to hold a Sunflower Hook-In and members produced a veritable garden of lovely sunflowers which were then put on display at the PCHS event.




Sunflower Project by Members of the Guild

Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs

Picnic