Show & Tell / July - September 2014

Rug Hooking - Beaconsfield Hooking Crafters Guild
Maki  - Denise Morissette

Maki by Denise Morissette

Maki the dog is a member of our family. I began the rug some time ago and completed it in 2012. It has been gifted it to my children. The rug measures 28 in. x 24.5 in. and is an original design, hooked on burlap with dyed wool in #3, #5 and #6 cuts. The mat is framed.



Rug Hooking - Beaconsfield Hooking Crafters Guild
Ginger - Carolyn Ells

 Ginger by Carolyn Ells

I began this mat in 2007 in a class taught by Trish Becker at the Green Mountain Rug Hooking Guild workshop in Shelburne Museum, Vermont, USA. The original design was more a caricature than a realistic scene of my cat in our garden – I kept the eye but revised all the other lines – so now I consider it my own design. I realized I disliked hooking with # 9.5 cut wool, especially with the fingering technique (even though I liked the effect of it) and I soon put the project aside.

In 2011, I set a goal to finish the rug. After a great many redesigns and once I had finished hooking the cat, I switched to a #6 cut for the background which gave more emphasis to the cat. My cat passed away in January 2013 , one day prior to this rug winning an honorable mention in the XXIII Celebrations of Hand-Hooked Rugs competition. I will keep this mat – it is a tribute to my friend, Ginger.

The rug measuring 21.75 in x 29 in.  was hooked on linen, using new and recycled dyed wools. Cuts used were #6 and #9.5. The rug was finished with binding.



Rug Hooking - Beaconsfield Hooking Crafters Guild
Louky - Louise G. de Tonnancour


Louky by Louise G. de Tonnancour

I finished this rug in 2005. It is a portrait of my faithful dog Louky who sits by me while I hook. The rug measures 36 in. x 33 in. and is an original design hooked on rug warp with recycled wool and other materials, cut in #6. The rug was finished with binding and whipping.

Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs

Picnic