In Kay Words

How I got “hooked” on rug hooking?   

by Kay Cousineau   

In 1977, while reading the local paper, I came across a photo of a friend with two members of a newly formed group of rug hookers demonstrating their craft for their upcoming first exhibition. I asked my friend what exactly is rug hooking and the more she told me the more I became interested, as I have always been fond of all types of crafts.  Upon inquiring, I was invited to sit in on one of their beginners’ classes, taught by Lois Morris, who introduced this craft to the West Island community of Beaconsfield, where I resided. Well, suffice it to say I was completely “hooked” and have never stopped hooking since. I signed up for every course that was offered by the city in those early stages of the guild and made many new friends through our mutual interest in the craft.  For over 35 years the City of Beaconsfield has accommodated us with the use of Centennial Hall for our meetings and exhibitions, and we are ever so grateful because this historic house, situated on the shores of the St. Lawrence River, is such an ideal venue to meet and inspire us in the practice of our craft.

Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs

Picnic