Show & Tell / January-March 2013

In this Gallery, you can tour a selection of rugs from our September 2012 exhibition, held at the Beaconsfield Library.

Fox
Grandfather's Fox - Isabelle Rollin




Grandfather's Fox
by Isabelle Rollin
My first rug was inspired by my Mother who told me that her Father had designed and maybe even hooked a rug with a fox and flowers. Together, my Mom and I spent many precious moments trying to recreate this design.
This has a great deal of 'doing and undoing' as I was learning to hook. Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. Thanks Mommy.
The rug is 26-5/8"x38", wool cut no. 6.
Original design hooked with recycled material from blazers, skirts and shared wool.




Wolf
Wolf Howling - Carolyn Ells
Wolf Howling in a Winter Night-Time Landscape
by Carolyn Ells

I designed this mat for a course on Grenfell-style rug hooking that I took with teacher Joan Fraser. The wolf profile was inspired by my Yukon parka and by a photo of a wolf which was an almost identical profile to the one on my parka. The sky is hooked in hit or miss horizontal blues, with a large crescent moon. The glow of the moon outlines the wolf and is found in the snow as well. I incorporated into the design the tamarack tree on our property in the North. (Tamaracks shed their needles in winter.) I found it hard to hook with nylons at first; the stretchy material twisted easily and left bumps on the back. If you were to look at the back of the mat, you would see where I suddenly figured out how to hook it neatly.

From the first lesson in hooking Grenfell-style, I knew I didn't have the patience to hook even a small mat in the "proper" style. I appreciated learning about the style and history of Grenfell Mission and Industries in Newfoundland and Labrador, but I gave myself permission to hook with my own feel for the design. The yellow inner rows and black outer rows of the border are an imitation of Grenfell-style mats that were sold to the public.

The mat measures 11.5" x 14".
Original design adapted from Grenfell-type rugs and hooked on linen foundation with recycled nylon stockings of which some have been dyed.


jeanne Osler
Snowy Owl -- Jeanne Osler


Snowy Owl by Jeanne Osler

The Snowy Owl pattern was purchased from Germaine James for a course given by BHCG some years ago. It was hooked with no. 3 and no. 4 cut new wool and dyed wool. The mat has been framed. As a note of interest, since 1987, the Snowy Owl is the official emblem of Quebec.




Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs

Picnic