Show & Tell - November 2010



This is a selection of rugs from our September 2010 retrospective exhibition, held at Centennial Hall, to celebrate the Guild’s 35th anniversary.



Runaway Canoe
Original Wall Hanging by Brenda Ticehurst


Brenda Ticehurst
This rug was inspired by a photo of boathouses at Lac des Seize Iles (16 Island Lake) in the Laurentians, past St-Sauveur, Quebec. The canoe is drifting unattached. The bay is often painted by local artists. The wall hanging was popular in an art show at the local recreation club. The reflections in the water were the most difficult part. The trees were done by pixilating.

N.B. Pixelation is the display of a digitized image where the individual pixels are apparent to the viewer. This can happen when an image is magnified to the point that each pixel becomes separately viewable (usually looking like little boxes).







My Little Puppy Davey

Original wall hanging by Maureen Rowe

Maureen Rowe
This is my little Jack Russell terrier. He is 6 years old now but, for me, he is always my puppy. So playful and loving – he is a wonderful companion who follows me around the house and garden all day. I named him after another Davey, my son, Max’s dog. I was walking his dog in Los Angeles one day when he escaped from me, took off down a busy street and was hit by a bus. As you can imagine, I was distraught and felt so guilty as well because he died on my watch. When I got my little terrier puppy, I asked my son if I could name this dog after his dog and he agreed – so that is how Davey got his name. Doing this rug was a wonderful hooking time, filled with love and lots of ideas for the colours to get the dog just right. I did and I am so glad as I will always have this to remember him. And my son Max just adores Davey.

I used wool strips cut in nos. 2, 3 and 4.




Beginner Floral
A Rittermere pattern hooked by Jeanne Osler

Jeanne Osler
In 1981, when I joined BHCG, a beginner’s course was required. Shading of six flowers and leaves in either a rug or bell pull, using no. 3 cut wool strips. Individuals could choose among Rittermere patterns.

I am pleased today to see that a beginner will be able to enjoy a completed project much more quickly.


 

 

 

Sheepie
A three-dimensional piece designed by Gail Dufresne of New Jersey,
and hooked by Joy Wheeler.

Joy Wheeler
I enlarged Gail Dufresne’s design. This is my first three-dimensional piece. It is a black, white and grey lamb that I hooked on burlap with No. 6 cut wool. It is 9 inches high and 10 inches long. The wool is all recycled except for the white. For the legs I used antique wooden pirns spools used in the spinning industry. The eyes came from my grandmother’s button jar. The lamb was filled with fiberfill.

Popular posts from this blog

Rugs at Centennial Park

Rug Hooking Tour

200 Cushions

Rug Hooking Designs

Picnic